- 2 lbs flank steak, trimmed of all fat
- 1½ tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil for marinade
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onions
- ½ cup finely diced celery
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 4 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp oil for frying
- 2 cups water
- 1 bottle of beer
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Marinate the meat overnight with salt, pepper, vegetable oil, onions, celery, garlic and tomatoes.
- The next day, heat 3 Tbsp of oil over high heat in a heavy casserole and add the flank steak; brown it quickly on both sides without burning.
- Transfer the steak to a plate and sauté the vegetables until they are soft but not brown.
- Return the meat to the casserole.
- Pour in the water and beer and bring to a boil.
- Cover the casserole and cook slowly for about two hours until the meat is tender.
- The last hour of cooking add the final ½ tsp of salt and the 1 tsp of ground cumin.
- Remove the flank steak and put it on an oven-proof plate.
- Top with onions, etc. and brown under the broiler.